So I did it… I cloned a domain join virtual machine… I did not sysprep it and I left the domain… so when I went back to the original machine no domain logins would work. Even worse I lost the local admin password. So how do you reset it… in linux it’s always a reboot away… Windows is a reboot and a few steps:
- Boot from the Micrsoft Windows Server 2008 DVD
- From the Install Windows menu, click “Next”.
- Select “Repair your computer”
- In the System Recovery Options, select the Operating System instance that you wish to repair and click “Next”.
- Select “Command Prompt”. The
- At the command prompt, run the following commands:c:
ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Reboot the server allowing Windows to load as normal
- At the logon screen, press Windows Key + U.
- As the command prompt, enter the following command:net user administrator New_PASSWORD
- Log into the server with New_PASSWORD
- Reboot into the repair command prompt
copy Utilman.exe.old utilman.exe
Reboot and enjoy
© 2013, Joseph Griffiths. All rights reserved.