It’s 10 AM monday morning. Everything is going great. Then you start to get lots of tickets… everyone is complaining about slow response from your virtual servers. Time to check vcenter… yep Storage vmotion just kicked off a re-balance during the worst time. How do you avoid this? Until 5.1 you could not. In 5.1 they added inside the web client (yep web client only – if you do in c# client it will not stick) the ability to schedule it. In my case I want moves based upon a full lun to happen anytime and I/O moves to happen only during evening hours.
- Log in to web client
- Vcenter -> datastore clusters -> select cluster -> select Manage at top
- Do All Actions -> Add and add a new schedule.
- Setup schedule to Disable at 6:00 AM
- Give it a name and schedule a time
- Then create one to enable at 6:00 PM
Enjoy the freedom from I/O moves during the morning.